Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Garden Stakes


This year, my husband ripped out a whole section of grass alongside our house so that I could plant an herb and lettuce bed right off our french doors and deck.  Therefore, I planted a larger variety of herbs and lettuce than ever before and wanted to make sure I kept all the different plants straight.

Therefore, I took on this REALLY SIMPLE Garden Stake project to share for the painting portion of the Outdoor Extravaganza Link Party.  I'm not particularly handy with a paint brush, so I wanted to make this pretty easy and useful at the same time.

I started by purchasing my stain at our local Benjamin Moore:


When the employee handed over my tiny little bucket, I asked politely for 20 stirs.  I expected a "what was that, m'am?"  Instead he didn't ask any questions and said sure.  It pays to be kind and smile, I guess. My backup plan was to head to Home Depot to buy a small back of wood splints but I didn't need to do that.


Next, I taped the ends of the stakes so that I had a section to hold while I stained them:



Finally, stain, let dry, and label.  Easy!

...and for those of you looking closely, please ignore the fact that I misspelled Lavender..... It happens....



I'll share more pictures of the stakes once the herbs and lettuce fill in a little more!  I hope you will come back tomorrow and join us for the Outdoor Extravaganza link party:

10 comments:

  1. What a great idea Dawn! At my local Home Depot I noticed a sign on the paint stirrers can that said limit 2 per gallon! I think they know we are taking more than our share for our DIY projects found on Pinterest!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant idea! LOve it. I have many stirs kicking around - this is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i can smell the garden's deliciousness!

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea!! First I need to find the perfect place for an herb garden, then I need to actually get around to planting that thing. I could just jump ahead and do these though and have them ready and waiting, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! I love how you stained them to give a wooden look. Great idea! Best of luck with your garden :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Genius idea...thanks for sharing! This would be great to link-up to my Create It Thursday post...it's live now! http://www.lambertslately.com/2013/05/create-it-thursday-4-plus-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are so cute. I have been looking for a good idea for my garden. I think I will borrow this. Wish I had found you sooner I have some projects that would have been great for that link party. I am coming over from Chic on a Shoestring

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been wanting to do this with cheap wooden spoons but I can snag these babies for free at home depot!
    thanks for sharing!
    www.istaistaista.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete