Sunday, February 24, 2013

Spring Entry: Adding Touches of Color

A few years ago, I decided, happily, to remove bright and bold colors from most rooms in my house - with exception to the boys rooms.  This winter I finally reached a happy place in line with my vision of many layered neutrals. 

....and then - once again, I felt a shift.....I noticed that I was pinning, to Pinterest, rooms with splashes of bold colors again and again.  I'm still drawn to very neutral rooms, but I thought maybe I could reach a happy medium. 




So, I decided to add some bold color into my life.  Luckily, with the neutral wall colors and furnishings we have, it wasn't too hard to follow my whim and add touches of color.  So, for this spring, I've decided to add some splashes of color into our home through accessories and plants.


I started with our entryway.



In case you did not see pictures from our entry styled for winter here, or if you need a refresh, here is what it looked like a few weeks ago:



...and here it is now:





 I really did like the entry styled for winter, but it never felt 100% like me.  While I like a rustic touch, it was just a little more rustic than I'm used to.  Here is one more before and after:




When I'm re-styling an area of our house, it typically doesn't happen overnight.  This entry, from concept to completion, took me about one week to get just right.  I knew that I wanted to include several elements that I've seen on Pinterest and at other blogs (you can see more on my inspiration here and my Pinterest "love the styling" board here), including high contrast black and white, touches of gold, and lots of color. 

For the black and white elements, I used a $3 scarf from Walmart, the Cast Metal Letter R which I purchased from Restoration Hardware on clearance, a black and white frame, and a black potting Bigarra planter from Ikea:


The touches of gold came from the frame of this $3 Goodwill ocean painting.  I used Antique Gold Rub and Buff on the frame of the picture as well as the hardware of our sideboard, which now looks so much better:

The color came from the ocean print, this $5 Ikea Lappljung red and purple pillow case used inside the black and white frame, an outdoor Pottery Barn pillow I already owned, and the orchids that I bought for myself from Trader Joe's on Valentine's Day!!  (My husband already treated me to a nice surprise getaway which I shared here, so I told him not to worry, that I would purchase myself some Valentine's flower while grocery shopping!)  I knew I wanted something that lasted longer than fresh cut stems and this space is a perfect environment for orchids. 








Finally, I added these white fluffy faux sheepskin rugs for a little texture.  While this isn't exactly practical for a high traffic entry area, we rarely use this front entry, so it works for us:



Here is the space one last time...I know, lots of pictures but I'm loving the new space so I had a lot of pictures to share!

 
What do you think?  Which entry do you prefer, the rustic neutral winter entry, or the fun colorful spring entry?

See more of our home tour here:


Linking to:
The Sunday Showcase Party / It's Overflowing / Coastal Charm / Home Stories A to Z / My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia / Savy Southern Style / DIY by Design  / Creative Spark / Green Willow Pond / No Minimalist Here / Stone Gable / Young House Love / The Inspiration Gallery / Liz Marie Blog / Between Naps on the Porch / Flaunt it Friday / Domestically Speaking / Thrifty Decor Chick

21 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Love the pops of color, I find that is what I have been pinning a lot of lately, neutrals with pops of color. Great photos too, magazine worthy shots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I'm always more drawn to layered colors and patterns, and yours is beautiful. :) I especially like the pillowcase with the R in front. And the pictures totally sucked me in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the color you added! And the "R" is awesome, too.
    ~ Megin of VMG206

    ReplyDelete
  4. This really works. It ties together so nicely and really brightens up the space. I think I need your paint color, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dawn, it looks amazing! That's the good thing about neutral backdrops- you can add any color, bold or muted, and it really works. Love the materials your used and the fact that it didn't cost a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous styling, Dawn! Love the framed Ikea pillow cover, so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  7. the color looks happy and welcoming! can't wait to feel the fesh air of spring again, but i'll take this wonderful sunshine we're enjoying!

    smiles.

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am all about color - that red/purple framed art is PERFECT for that space - it makes you look in that room!
    Great job!
    -Trish

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like it! The colors look great and add a nice fresh feel, perfect for spring :) I like how you layered the frames and leaned them up against the wall. Looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dawn, your house looks so pretty and your pictures are getting better and better!!

    I really like the new one so much better! Can't believe that ocean picture was $3! Haven't been thrifting forever!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love it! The neutral base with pops of colors and pattern is just perfect. Pinning and now following.

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the touch of color! i have been adding some pops of color, too- i think we are all itching for spring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. As much as I loved your neutral/winter vignette, I'm really digging this more colorful styling you've put together. It looks great and must make you quite happy. I found you through Pam @ Simple Details - and now I've got lots of reading to do to catch up on some of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am shifting to the neutral mode after years of color lol! So I really like the before pictures, but the color pops look great too. I think that is what I love about neutrals, you can add any color when you feel like it and change things up so easily. You have a beautiful home. Thank you for sharing it at What We Accomplished Wednesdays! Have a great weekend!

    Hugs,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  15. BEAUTIFUL post:) Your blog Is lovely..do you have twitter or fb??

    If you want to see a lovely shop..check out my new post:)

    Have a great weekend dear

    LOVE Maria from inredningsvis.se
    (sweden)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What great idea!s Please share it on a terrific linky – Design Décor Tuesday. www.designdecortuesday.blogspot.com. See you there! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks very welcoming! I like the Winter one just a wee bit better but they are both beautiful - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love both entries - but it's time to bring in some fresh spring color! Great mix of old and new - and that Goodwill painting is fabulous! Glad you shared at our spring party.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  19. I prefer the new look. I think the neutrals with splashes of color is warm and inviting... and very very interesting! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love it! It's eclectic in a great way. Feels more personal and less generic. Great work!
    http://wwwlifeofplentyblog.com

    ReplyDelete